Sunday, January 29, 2012

Time to go


The Day was now here for Ben to leave. His flight left early in the morning so we all got up and drove him to the airport. As we were driving I just kept thinking that this was not really happening. Again, many tears were shed by us all, but we all knew that the sooner he left the sooner he would return home to us. We were running a little late, so we had to go to the outside check in. Will and Kate went and stood in line with him while his bags were being checked. It wasn't long after that that he returned to the car and gave us all hugs for the last time. We all cried while we watched him disappear in through the airport doors. Writing about this brings back the emotions I felt that day. It was so hard to watch him leave. I felt as though a part of me was leaving. Knowing i couldn't see him or touch him or smell him ( all things I took for granted) was hard to swallow. My whole body ached.
Several people at the airport were watching this all go down- Watching a man in uniform saying goodbye to his family. Total strangers were crying. Right as I was going pull away, and man knocked at my window. He looked as though he was a former football player or coach. He was probably around 60 years old with short gray hair. So he was a big tough man. He motioned for me to roll my window down and kind of hestitantly, I did. His eyes were full of tears. He said," you and your kids should feel so proud right now. I sure love you guys." He got too choked up to say anything more. We did feel proud that day, but sad too.

After dropping him off, we returned home and decided that it would be best for us to get ready for church and attend our meetings. They were good meetings and it hadn't really hit us what had just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment