Sunday, January 29, 2012

The day before deployment


The day before Ben left, we woke up and went to yard sales as a family. This has become one of our favorite things to do together. We hit the jackpot this day. We found a yard sale full of old an unique things. I bought 8 round picture frames- not knowing what I would do with them. All I know, is that they are hard to find especially all the same. We found some pewter pieces and also some old coke bottles we intended to use for homemade rootbeer. We got home and Ben opened up the back hatch door of our suburban and to his surprise, the frames and the coke bottles came crashing out and landed on the cement. 7 of the 8 frames broke and also 2 of the 6 bottles broke. Ben looked as though he would cry. He knew how excited I was about these finds. It broke my heart that he felt so bad. Even though i had told him and the kids several times not to open the back of the car until they checked to see if anything was by the door, I couldn't get mad at him. We went inside and Ben disappeared for awhile. I went out to the garage only to find him standing by a table covered with frames he had pieced back together. I had to hold the tears back. He cared so much that he spent some of his last ours at home trying to do something to make me happy. I will never forget that moment and the act of kindness he showed my that day. We spent the night before he left watching a movie (Zookeeper) together getting Olive Garden take out and Ben and the kids got in the hot tub. The night ended with Ben giving us all a priesthood blessing. This was a wonderful experience for our family. There were many tears shed, but a feeling of peace filled our home. After the kids were in bed, Ben and I packed his things and more tears were shed.



No comments:

Post a Comment